It looks good. We've used COMPILE for years, and I can't imagine life without it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Campin [mailto:alan0307d@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 4:26 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: New Open Source Utility

Just to let folks know I have published a new open source utility on SourceForge.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ibuild/

I call it iBuild. It is a new version of my utility COMPILE.

I still believe that a good Make tool is an absolutely essential tool in an ILE environment or even with monolith coding. Please see the Readme for more information.

It brings several improvements including.

1. Written in ILE/RPG, CLLE and modules, 100% Free Format programs and service programs if you are looking for examples of 100% Free programs. .
2. Substitution variables are now names in the format of @Name instead of numbers.
3. Substitution variables are soft-coded and you can add new ones if you felt the need.
4. A new utility SETEVENTF for use with RDI that allows you to get back error messages when you are compiling programs or service programs or other objects that don't return event files. You will now get error messages back.
5. Optional and Required programs. You can tag a line as either optional or required or a continuation. If a line is optional (*_>_O tag), the process will continue if the command fails. If the command is required (*_>_R tag) and the command fails, processing will stop.

For example,

//*_>_O DLTMOD MODULE(@OBJLIB/@OBJNAM)
//*_>_R CRTRPGMOD MODULE(@OBJLIB/@OBJNAM)
//*_>_C SRCFILE(@SRCLIB/@SRCFIL)
//*_>_C SRCMBR(@SRCMBR)
//*_>_C DBGVIEW(@MODDBG) OPTIMIZE(@OPTILE)

If the command delete module fails the processing continues because the module may not exist yet but if the CRTRPGMOD fails there is no reason to continue so processing stops.

6. Plus marks are no longer needed at the end of a line to indicate a continuation. The C says continue the line. Unfortunately, you still have to use */ on the end of a CL source line.
7. Installation is done with IBM LODRUN command. Source members and a build program is also available if you don't want to use LODRUN.
8. You can limit how many lines to search for the instructions and how characters in the line to search for the tags.
9. Still tightly integrates with RDI or WDSI.
10. Requires V7R1M0 or higher.

And the best part it is still FREE!!.

Enjoy. Please contact me if you have issues or problems.