On 2017-11-10 4:09 PM, Charles Wilt wrote:
It changed...but not till 7.2+
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzasd/rpgrelv7r2post.htm

Relaxed rules for data structures for I/O operations
An externally-described data structure or LIKEREC data structure defined
with type *ALL can be used as the result data structure for any I/O
operation. See File Operations

Unfortunately, we aren't able to update the 7.1 RPG manuals, so changes made via PTFs are only reflected in the 7.2+ online manuals.

As Rob found in the RPG Cafe wiki page for the "relaxed rules" enhancement, that feature was also added for 7.1.