Kevin,

You don't have to change the names to avoid "reserved" names in free-form.

On data declarations in DS for example you simply add dcl-subj in front of the name.

So this:

D myDS DS
D chain 1a

Becomes:

Dcl-ds myDS;
def-subf chain char(1);
end-ds;

Similar options exist for procedure interface and prototype parameters. It is basically the same scenario as being able to omit EVAL in cals. You can omit it if the filed name does not match an opcode name. So you have to code:

EVAL chain = 'Y';

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com