On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 10:08 AM, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Dan <dan27649@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SNDMSG is limited to 76 characters that will display in the user's
message
queue.

Really? I have never come up against this limit. Maybe there is
something more about your situation that I am missing.

The SNDMSG command itself, just taken on its own, certainly is not
limited to 76 characters. To me, the simplest thing to do (I guess
because we have very little system API "infrastructure" at our shop)
is to wrap SNDMSG in a CLP, and call that from the RPG program. In
fact I have done exactly this, and use it all over the place to send
messages up to 512 characters.


Good grief. I tried it again and it works. Definitely a case of PEBKAC.
I was certain I tried sending something longer than 76 characters and it
got truncated. By now, I've gone through so many iterations that it's
impossible to test the exact command that I thought was doing so.

There *is* a 76-char limitation on messages sent to an external message
queue using SNDPGMMSG, and I wonder if my early testing used that instead
of SNDMSG.

Thanks for confirming!

- Dan

This thread ...

Replies:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2019 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].