With the caveat that the what used info is not updated when you use the UPD commands. If the CMS tool that the shop uses relies on that info then UPD is not a good idea and recreation is the only real option.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com

On Sep 14, 2017, at 2:53 PM, Kevin Bucknum <Kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When you have a program (or service program and use updsrvpgm) where you
have changed a module in the program, you can use the UPD commands to
rebuild the program and not have to recreate it.

Kevin Bucknum
Senior Programmer Analyst
MEDDATA/MEDTRON
Tel: 985-893-2550

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dan
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:49 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: Service program signatures, and how to avoid
unnecessarilyrecompiling programs that call service programs

Again, thanks to everyone offering advice and answers! I'd definitely
be lost
without the midrange.com lists! As someone mentioned elsewhere
recently, you don't know what you don't know. I'm reading through the
ILE
Concepts reference and Brad's "Implementing ILE for RPG 101".

What are the circumstances by which one needs to use UPDPGM? I
presume that it replaces the CRT* compile to a client program to which
no
modifications were made to its source?

- Dan

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Niels Liisberg
<nli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Let me just clear it. The calls are made by vector number - not by
name. So each call to your procedures are stored as an index to an
array of procedure pointers. If you introduce a new procedure in
between existing procedures, then subsequent procedures are "moved"
one index higher- messing up the refereces in the "client"
calls..... does it
make sense?

UPDPGM of all client programs will ultimately fix this if you want
keep the procedure names in a certain order.
tor. 14. sep. 2017 kl. 00.44 skrev Niels Liisberg