Justin, in regard to the article that you read, is that available on the
Internet, and could you post a link?

In regard to learning RPG - for me it was a transition from AS/400 COBOL to
AS/400 RPG III, which was an easy transition. PDM, SEU, and SDA were the
same.

The challenge for me at that time was that I had just joined an IBM
business partner that was supporting an RPG II code base, which ran in the
S/36 environment. It was my job to come up with new modular design patterns
and RPG III program templates for interactive applications and reports. But
I enjoyed that very much.

I have heard that it is common for programmers to learn RPG by copying from
existing programs, rather than master the "specs" (i.e. the opcodes,
%bifs(), and other syntax nuances).

RPG is especially well-suited for database and interactive workloads.