On 2/2/2017 10:49 AM, Duane Scott wrote:
Ok. Some clearer. But I sometimes need to sleep on things awhile when there is nobody to hit me over the head with clear examples.

Don't we all!

Situation: I have a single $ figure that would be obtained from one of three files depending on several factors, say 3 or 4. I could use a procedure to obtain the $ figure in a display program for the user benefit and in a batch process that MAY need the $ figure on each of many records but not all.

I can see a bind by reference being the best for the display program, but would it also be best on the nightly process?

If the additional 10ms of overhead is acceptable in an interactive job,
how much do I care about adding 10ms to a job that is running for 10
minutes?

Once invoked, would the referenced procedure become part of the job or each instance of need be "loaded" into the job and cause additional overhead during the run?

Activation is probably the term best used when talking about service
programs. There is some overhead relating only to activating a service
program, but I never found it to be worth worrying about even on slow,
ancient machines.

Once a service program is activated in a job, the overhead of calling a
sub-procedure is exactly the same as the overhead of calling a
sub-procedure bound by copy, or hard wired in the program.

If we do a one-to-one comparison of a module being bound by copy vs the
same single module in an ACTGRP(*CALLER) service program, we'll find
that the task of initialising pointers, allocating storage, etc is
exactly the same. That is, the system needs to initialise the variables
whether those variables reside in the mainline, in a sub-procedure bound
by copy, or in a sub-procedure bound by reference. That task takes the
same amount of time for each variable, no matter where the variable resides.