Great analogy. Works well, Buck.

Two places I think the SQL approach works especially well are when the user can't quite remember the exact name (is it 'Farm & Beauty Store' or '_The_ Farm & Beauty Store''?), or when the desired records are not contiguous, like when someone says "Give me our sales in Montana for last week in order by city."

I'd make one other comment that I believe is important to an RPG programmer's decision - I avoided SQL for a very long time, figuring it was a tad too confusing and intimidating for a joe-the-plumber kind of programmer like me. I was astonished how quickly basic pieces fell into place. There are a lot of programs you can write without ever worrying about inner joins, left outer joins, dynamic SQL, and many of the other phrases that, frankly, scared me.