I'm not sure getters/setters and ORM are mutually exclusive. You use ORM to set properties on your objects, but without getters/setters how do you expose those properties? My thinking was to treat a *SRVPGM like that object and access the "properties" via getters/setters.

Let me explain the issue I'm trying to solve so we're both on the same page. Traditionally, RPG references a PF directly and is tied to the record format at compile time. If an existing column was changed in the PF, all the RPG programs that use it will fail with level check errors. This is rather than having them run over bogus data. So the question is how to get the data to/from that PF without tying every RPG program to a static format.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Andelin [mailto:nandelin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 1:55 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RPG redbook

My first thought would be to use getter/setters. Hmmm...

Nah, records are the basic building blocks of business systems, not fields.
Getters and setters are too cumbersome from a programming perspective. OO engineers implemented getters and setters, found them to be too cumbersome, then created object-relational mapping (ORM) frameworks to simplify the interfaces. The overhead is staggering.