On 28-Jul-2016 19:57 -0500, CRPence wrote:
I will include what I have attempted already, for reference; many
would find the Subject request to be improper, without showing some
prior effort. But any fully-functional but simple example-sources
would be welcome, as there is no specific reason the following code
would need to be /corrected/. <<SNIP>>

Per an offline reply, asking my intentions and offering links to /educational/ materials, I just want to add:

I did not post this request with the intention to actually learn [much] about this ancient variant of RPG; though I did learn some things already, and surely will learn some more as I both read and test the feedback given already and since.

Instead, I merely desired obtaining some simple code examples to help disprove a [likely invalid] claim about the function of the DB2 for i for the /native/ I\O operations of Put and Update. Not wanting to appear as the lazy sod that I am, thus turning-off some who might otherwise reply with some assistance, I showed that I had already put in some effort :-)

So here is the story:

Like with so many fora on which someone posts a message suggesting that "feature X does not work", posters often never gives any test-case materials to exhibit the effects that support their claim :-( And this time I chose not to respond in my typical fashion, suggesting that the OP has failed miserably at providing anything worthwhile to assist the readers to assist the author of the OP; i.e. to suggest that re-create materials [scripted sources and actions, with any necessary data population] would be quite appropriate provisions for a reader to help the poster either to resolve or to better understand their [usage] issue.

Instead, I figured on a different approach that I have made many times, but never with something about which I know so little. I decided I would provide a functional test-case that proves by counter-example, that their general claim is false. And to do that, I came here asking if I might be able to obtain some code that will perform those types of I\O, and then I could perform some tests myself. Then I likely would disprove their wildly generalized claim, which indeed I had already done, at least for an insert\put using my poorly-coded and functionally-crippled first attempt.

Finally, by posting my "It works here" test-case in a reply to "feature X does not work", I could ask that perhaps the author of that claim could confirm the same results on their system, or if instead they could show how to modify my functional example so as to exhibit what they claim.