Thanks Tommy, I thought about that, but for two things:
#1 The program is compiled with ACTGRP( *NEW ) and with parameter values that bind the service program to it that contains the procedure, and that service program is compiled with ACTGRP( *CALLER).

#2 Method #1 has worked with many other programs.

I'm puzzled as to what I did different in this program, if it was me.

For this particular program, using QCMDEXC in the code to run CHGCURLIB has worked without having to do overrides, and it's simpler, so I'll probably use that henceforth, or run the overrides with it. (I'm not sure I want to scope to the job, but I may do that or add an option to the procedure for that.

Thanks everybody! Enjoy the evening, the Friday, the weekend and the holiday!

Thanks