I am building a very complicated (some might say convoluted) data structure
in an RPG program to handle an XML document (the XSD is a couple thousand
lines). It will have multiple levels of nested data structures and multiple
dimensions on some of the levels.

My question is if I create a data structure like shown below, since Field1
and Field2 are varying, is my data structure always consuming 514 bytes as
it shows in the compile listing or if I store "Hello" in Field1 and "World"
in Field2, is it only using 14 bytes? I'm trying to figure out if I can use
a default length of maybe 255 or if I should spend the time trying to figure
out what the max size of each field should be.

Program

d Data ds

d Field1 255 varying

d Field2 255 varying