On 3/8/2016 11:16 AM, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
You pays your money - you takes your choice!

I prefer priming a DOW loop with a READ of whatever sort - I don't really like doing a LEAVE in the middle for EOF condition - seems too much like a GOTO abuse.

Repeating much of what John said, the use of ITER is specifically meant to say we're jumping to the top of the loop. The reason I do it is so that I can have multiple conditions that might cause a skip without having to have increasing levels of indentation. My personal pet-peeve is having more than a few levels of indentation. A simple example (I don't know if the leading spaces will come through, but if not, just pretend):

DCL-PROC

DOW not %eof detail-file

READ foreign-file 1
IF Condition 1

READ foreign-file 2
IF Condition 2

Perform computation
If Condition 3

In a medium-complex business case with a handful of external files and a couple of conditions you can quickly get to five or more levels of indentation. Depending on how you indent, it's a lot of real estate, and to me it's just tough to follow. Using a read at the top of the loop, I can always ITER on each condition to skip the record. I don't have to have a whole bunch of nested IFs. As always, your mileage may vary.