De : RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Charles Wilt
Envoyé : 9 mars 2016 14:29
À : RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Objet : Re: What am I missing, or free-form data structures and the group data area.

Yeah I found references to it...

But nothing about how to access it from RPG.

The RPG manuals just talks about the LDA and PDA...

Charles

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Michael Ryan <michaelrtr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_i5_54/rbam6/grpda.htm

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Michael Ryan <michaelrtr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'd have free form be a standard rather than using GDAs.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Charles Wilt
<charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Interesting...in 20 years...never heard of a Group Data Area...

Neither the RPG/400 nor RPG IV manuals mention it.

How do you define it in fixed format?

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Chris Pando
<chris.pando@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Unless I have missed something, I have found a deficiency in the
free-form
data structure definition.

If I want to use the local data area, mapped to a data structure
defined by
an external (reference) file (e.g. LDA), my declaration would
look like:

Dcl-DS lda Ext DtaAra(*LDA) End-DS

No problem. But I can't do the same for the group data area
(which our
menu
system uses).

Dcl-DS gda Ext DtaAra(*GDA) End-DS

generates an RNF3343, which says only *LDA and *PDA are valid.

Have I found something free-from can't do (makes it sort of hard
argue
free-form should be the standard), or am I missing something?

chris@xxxxxxxxx
www.brilligware.com
--
This is the RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
(RPG400-L)

questions.