From: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vernon Hamberg
Sent: Thursday, 26 November 2015 12:01 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Trying to understand error with SETLL *START and READE, no key

Yeah, I know this should result in an error. I just want to understand what I'm seeing.

I have a PSDS defined with subfields for the MSGID (position 40, 7 long) and message text (position 91, 80 long).

I specify the error extender on the READE - reade(e) filename inputds;

When the error occurs, I display those 2 subfields of the PSDS - they are blank.

dump(a) shows the PSDS to have blanks - the status on the file is 1299.

Now if I don't have the (e) extender on the READE, I get an inquiry with (C D G F) and take the D. The MSGID is set to RNX1299 and message text is "I/O error was detected in file filename."

Note the extra space - actually the missing CPF message ID.

Also, program status code at the time is 0.

It appears that the program-status information has not been set yet when using the error extender.

It also appears that there is not an I/O exception sent that triggers the RNX1299.

Thoughts? Clarity hoped for?

Regards
Vern