Sadly not enough of their customers care enough to beat up on them - but it is really sad. I know show that write at least 30%+ custom code where management force them o stay with RPG III even for new code because “If it’s good enough for JDE”.

They are not the only ones - and sadly IBM never pressured any of the ISVs to make the transition.

Ok - tiny rant over … back to work.

On Nov 4, 2015, at 10:14 AM, Bob Cagle <bcagle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So why doesn't JDE just do this themselves and make it official? If a two-man team can do this over a weekend, what's their excuse?

Thanks
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Paris

True - but given that the compiler has been available for over 21 years … well let’s just say that other than the documented differences (such as the aforementioned FREE op-code) there can be very few differences that have yet to be reported and fixed.

One simple example - entire JDE suite converted by one customer (two people) over a weekend. CVTRPGSRC threw up a couple of things that were easily remedied. They were fixed and a mass recompile submitted on Saturday. Sunday they resolved the couple of compile failures and tested. Monday the new version went into production. Zero problems reported.

You mileage may vary - and normally I’d want more testing than this but … compatibility was, and still is, a very high priority for the compiler team.