I do - actually in both.

It turns out that I reported the wrong error - the 2nd program failed because, as I recall from so long ago this morning :) because I had a file name that I had not changed.

What we have found out is that we can compile a program that uses a file that has null-capable fields or columns - but it will get an error if one of those fields actually is null.

As you suggest, if I don't ever use a null-capable column, there is no problem.

The other thing I did not mention at first is that I am working with an OpenAccess-RPG handler. That does not change how the compiler works so far as null-capable fields are concerned. It does mean that one can have a database handler that does not tell the RPG runtime that a field is null - this would be a mistake (or maybe desired, to mask the challenge of handling null-capable fields?). If the runtime is not told about the null state, then it doesn't care.

Thanks
Vern