From: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2015 1:32 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Coding in Column 1

Kurt,

Have you found it useful to have "mod marks"? Have you ever found them useful in making a new modification or working out a problem? I know I haven't.

They aren't as bad as the people who insist on commenting out all old code and keeping it all in the member. I find that makes the code completely unreadable and unmaintainable over time. Mod marks aren't nearly as bad.

But, since they don't tell you what the code looked like before the modication, I've found mod marks completely useless. Add that to the fact that the only exist in RPG and no other language, and you realize how pointless these things are.

The right way to do this is to use a source version control package.
Even a free tool like git, subversion, etc works soooo much better.

So that's my opinion. Find a better way, and then YES get rid of the mod marks!

-SK