On 2/12/2015 6:34 AM, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
Back to the Future -- CL 101!!

This is all described in something like chapter 9 of the CL Programming
manual. It includes the several alternatives that others have given here.

With the advent of internet / HTML based manuals, I find it really
difficult to give a canonical reference.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rbam6/passp.htm
which is
Programming > Control language > CL programming > Controlling flow and
communicating between programs and procedures > Passing parameters

It seems to me that this is THE most frequently asked question about
programming. We had a FAQ page on it when we had a Midrange FAQ (thanks
David!) and we have a wiki page on it now (Thanks David!)
http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/Parameter_passing

If there are some words that can be put in the wiki that would help
people understand what is happening, I would love to add them. In
essence, this is a buffer overflow situation: the callee is reading more
memory than the caller allocated.