Sorry it was late.
On Sep 29, 2014 1:33 AM, "Scott Klement" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alan,

You'd be correct if this was only being called from RPG. It's actually
the prototype in RPG that will do this for you, it will convert to another
data type. (And it doesn't have to be by value, it can be either value or
CONST reference)

However, that's not at all true when calling from CLLE -- which Mike
explicitly said that he wanted.

The CL compiler can't automatically change the data type of the variable,
because it doesn't know which data type the RPG procedure is expecting...
How could it, if there's no prototype to tell it what the data type should
be?!

However, there are ways to do what Mike is looking for, but they are not
quite as elegant.

1) You can use operational descriptors to find out the type of data
passed. Then, you can treat it accordingly (for example, you could use a
pointer to map the parameter to a variable with the appropriate data type.)

2) This is risky, but... a VARYING ("VarChar" is the SQL term) field will
have a 2 or 4 byte prefix containing the length. Bytes that make up
characters are almost always x'40' or higher. So for parameters with a
short max length, if the first byte is < x'40', then it's probably a
VARYING parameter, if it's x'40' or higher it's a fixed-length character.
Otherwise, it's a varying field.

3) As Joep mentioned, you could have a wrapper. One procedure accepts a
fixed-length variable, the other a varying variable. The fixed-length one
could call the varying one. That way, the CL can call the fixed-length
interface, and RPG can call the varying interface.