On 10-Jun-2014 12:05 -0500, Erick Garske wrote:
Could someone point out an online reference for object naming rules
for the standard maximum ten character upper case alpha numeric
object names for files? I understand that hyphens are illegal, but
underscores are valid. What is the domain of valid characters?

What that inquiry has to with RPG is unclear. Nonetheless...

The naming rules are specific to the limitations\restrictions imposed for an object type and the naming type for actual "objects", but /names/ used for other purposes may be supported more or less restrictively. Likely the inquiry will be satisfied by the "basic names" rules in the following doc link, and possibly the APIs referenced in a link to an archived message:

<http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_71/rbam6/rbam6objnamrules.htm>
IBM i 7.1->Programming->Control language->CL concepts->IBM i objects->Object naming rules
_Object naming rules_
"These rules are used to name all IBM® i objects used in control language (CL) commands. The parameter summary table for each CL command shows whether a simple object name, a qualified name, or a generic name can be specified.

Naming a Single Object
In the name of a single object, each part (the simple name and the library qualifier name) can have a maximum of 10 characters.
Naming a User-Created Object
To distinguish a user-created object from an IBM-supplied object, you should not begin user-created object names with Q because the names of all IBM-supplied objects (except commands) begin with Q. ...

_Names_ (*NAME)
When you create basic names and basic names in quoted form, follow these rules.
..."

<www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_71/rbam6/rbam6names.htm>
_Names_ (*NAME)
"When you create basic names and basic names in quoted form, follow these rules.

*NAME (basic name in unquoted form)

Every basic name can begin with the characters A-Z, $, #, or @ and can be followed by up to nine characters. The remaining characters can include the same characters as the first but can also include numbers 0-9, underscores (_), and periods (.). Lowercase letters are changed to uppercase letters by the system. Basic names used in IBM-supplied commands can be no longer than 10 characters. However, in your own commands, you can define parameters of type *NAME (specified on the TYPE parameter of the PARM or ELEM statements) with up to 256 characters.
..."

<http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201109/msg00329.html>
Subject: Validating a File Member Name
"The Verify Name API, new with V6R1 and available as both a *PGM (QCAVFYNM) and *SRVPGM function (QcaVerifyName), provides a general purpose interface to verify the validity of a QSYS based name. ..."