On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 14:03 -0500, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
Kurt

An idea - there is no memory allocated to a template. You have 2
messages saying that neither the structure nor its subfield can be used,
since they are in a DS defined with TEMPLATE.

I have a feeling that %len would also fail when used against a templated
item - does it?

It seems we SHOULD be able to get attributes of variables that were
defined with TEMPLATE, doesn't it? Or am I expecting more than is
practical? Is this possible with templates in C/C++?

I#'m not sure about c/c++/java et.al. (but I vaguely recall templates
are nothing more than descriptive definitions/hints/fill in the blanks,
as to the final "real stuff") but a possible reason for not allowing
such a test against a template is that the defined fields which were
based on a template might be changed via +/- amounts.

I'm unsure of the syntax, but :-
FieldTemplate := 10,2
RealField := Fieldtemplate +2:+1

So the resulting RealField would be 12,3 and any tests, if allowed,
performed on FieldTemplate would be incorrect.

That said, it supposes the final real field can be based on a template,
but further modified with some constraints; such as type can not be
changed, but lengths can... if such a change is invalid then my whole
argument is null and void.

Vern