On 2014-04-07 14:23, Kurt Anderson wrote:
I wasn't following you, Barbara, at first, but now I think I do. It
sounds like you're coming from the angle that there's a copybook with
the prototype of every program. We do not do that.

I wasn't thinking that you have a single copybook with a prototype for every program. I was thinking that you'd have exactly one prototype for each program or procedure, and that one prototype would be used for compiling all the callers plus the program or procedure itself.

At my shop we'd have a call to DspCurTime defined as
D DspCurTime PR EXTPGM('DSPCURTIME')

It sounds like you are using a different prototype in the program itself:

D mainProcedure PR EXTPGM('DSPCURTIME')

If you are using a different prototype within the program itself, you're missing out on one of the big advantages of prototypes, which is getting the compiler to check that the program or procedure and all its callers have the same idea about the parameters (and return value for procedures).