On 21-Feb-2014 02:14 -0800, Romanò Claudio wrote:

I am seeking help to get past this problem of connecting to an
external database.

I am attempting to connect to an external database from an iSeries
machine (V7R1M0) using the JTDS (Sourceforge) driver for SQLServer.
I have created an RPG program with the JDBCR4 service program bound
into it. All I'm try to do at present is connect to the database.
When I run the program I am unable to connect to the database and I
get the CPF9897 "JVMCFRE003 bad major version" message.
On Java console :
class=net/sourceforge/jtds/jdbc/Driver, offset=6 error message

<<SNIP>>

There are two [albeit improperly collated] comments that are located at the following link, both from "Craig.Schulstad... on Dec 12, 2012" that may be of assistance. What is apparently the earlier post is an exact match to the symptoms included above along with the JTDS version, and what is apparently a later followup post includes what was an apparent resolution by having updated the JTDS driver to a newer version:
<http://iprodeveloper.com/application-development/sql-server-jdbc-driver-tip>
"... I was able to sort out the issue with the jar file. I needed the 1.2.5 version ...
... I tried an older version of the JTDS driver file (1.2), but that did not resolve that issue. ..."

FWiW the effective identical code snippet appears in a sourceforge.net discussion forum, describing the identical symptom, and has no responses:
<http://sourceforge.net/p/jtds/discussion/104389/thread/08d26b06/>
Creator: Rob Marais Created: 2013-11-20