Here is the example that might help: "Sorting using part of the array as a key"

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/books/c092508602.htm

On 1/31/2014 2:07 PM, Jack Prucha wrote:
Let me look into that. I guess I have to build an intermediate array with both the seq # and the original element then %sorta it. That might do it. Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Booth Martin
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2014 2:43 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: Sorting Array via values from a file

I am not sure I understand the problem; this solution solves what I understand to be the problem.

Would it be reasonable to load your array in this manner: chain each parm to the sequence file. if %found and the sequence number is <> 0, use the sequence number for the the sort element in the array.
Otherwise (Seq# 0 or match not found) make the sort element 999 (or 99?). Then there is no need for maintenance people to have to remember to put in the 999, it is built-in. Once built, sort the array by the sorting sequence.