On 17-Jan-2014 23:02 -0800, Booth Martin wrote:
<<SNIP>> populate a field in an RPG program with a specific message
from a specific message file.

Something like:
wText = MSGID(*LIBL/FILENAME UTL12004)

where UTL12004 is the level 1 text in a specific MSGF.

Any ideas?

Presumably the UTL12004 reference intends to suggest a message identifier which is seven bytes; i.e. a MsgID of a *MSGF is defined as having a three byte prefix followed by four hex digits. So either the MsgID is incorrectly written as eight bytes instead of seven bytes [so perhaps something like UTL1204 were intended], or the intent was a decimal specification for an apparent msg UTL2EE4; i.e. whereby 0d12004 = 0x2EE4.

If there was a run-time feature, possibly it would look more like one of:
wText = %MSGID('*LIBL/FILENAME' : 'UTL2EE4') ; // a builtin
MSGID Utl12004 FileName wText ; // e.g. like a READE

I am aware of no such feature. Almost surely requires a procedure to be coded to define the effect, probably using the Retrieve Message (QMHRTVM) API [or perhaps a CLLE module using Retrieve Message (RTVMSG) command]; e.g. perhaps something like one of:
wText = RtvMsg('FILENAME':'UTL2EE4') ;
wText = RtvMsg(FileName:Utl2EE4:'replacementdata':%size(wText)) ;

If one were so inclined, the interface to a Message File could be coded as a SPECIAL file to allow READ requests, although each of the OPEN and CLOSE for an I=input-only declaration on the F-spec probably would be no-ops because the file name might [best] be dynamically resolved each time to allow the language to change [as implied by the *LIBL]; and FEOD would have no apparent equivalent function for use with a *MSGF having its access implemented with a special file.