At the risk of repeating myself, it's not RPG (and Barbara) doing this.
It's the database support/definition of UTF8 as being
character/alphanumeric. To get UTF-8 in an "as is bytes" form have your job
CCSID set to 65535 (though this of course may mess up other files in the
program where you do want job CCSID conversion).

And as mentioned previously, I tend to not use UTF8 in DB2 tables for just
this reason.