I'm fiddling around with the settings now.

I have the programs in a shadow production with different compile settings and a RCLRSC by the calling CL.
So far, there doesn't appear to be difference in performance. But, there's only 5 people using the code right now. In another month or so, that'll jump to around 200...

----- Original Message -----

From: "Gary Monnier" <Gary.Monnier@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:59:40 PM
Subject: RE: SQL Closing Files

Oh yes. I've been bitten by it. It has to do with IBM performing a pseudo-close on the table.

For performance sake they don't actually completely close the table until the CLOSQLCSR condition is encountered. As Mr. Thompson mentioned if CLOSQLCSR is *ENDACTGRP it is a wise idea for the program containing the embedded SQL run in a named activation group and reclaim the activation group when the program ends.