Eric,
Conditioned ATTRIBUTES can be specified on both Load All and Single Page
subfiles.
Conditioned FIELDS can only be specified on Single page subfiles.

The trick is to add a hidden field for the indicator status so that if the
record is read, then updated, the indicator status can be refreshed before
the update.

This is not the same as changing part of a field to a different color.
On some subfiles, I have found that the design is to display a single long
field that has the individual fields pre-edited and formatted so the things
like the ENTFLDATR keyword can be specified which causes the like to change
color or reverse image when selected, along with the individual fields
specified as hidden where needed for the application.
In this case, the programmer could embed the specific hex attribute for the
desired color code just prior to the portion of the field desired in the
string, along with the desired attribute for the remaining portion of the
string after the field to effectively change the color of just part of the
line.

Jeff Young
Sr. Programmer Analyst