Just as I thought - glad to see that it worked! The help for RDi does say to use *N or *n if you want no name for the DS - seems that is used in several places, probably because the syntax needs a placeholder.

On 12/18/2013 1:11 PM, darren@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
That's it! I get it now. The compile was actually complaining that I
didn't specify a name for the data structure. I found that you can specify
*N if you really don't want to name it. So, this works.

dcl-ds *n PSDS;
Pgm *PROC;
WSID char(10) pos(244);
User char(10) pos(254);
end-ds;

From: Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx>
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 12/18/2013 02:02 PM
Subject: Re: Free form PSDS *PROC
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On 12/18/2013 1:42 PM, darren wrote:
The other suggestions, omitting the data types I had tried and failed in
the compiler. This was one I had not tried yet, but sadly, it also
fails.
Pgm char(10) pos(*PROC);

RNF0202: THE PARAMETER FOR KEYWORD POS MUST BE A NUMERIC CONSTANT BETWEEN
1
AND 16773104
DCL-DS pgm_stat PSDS;
status *STATUS;
routine *ROUTINE;
library CHAR(10) POS(81);
END-DS;

Taken directly from the new RPG manual, page 5-80. I grant you that
locating this wasn't as intuitive as I'd hoped... it's not in the error
handling section with the rest of the PSDS information; it's in chapter
5 'Specifications'. All the new stuff is in there... And there are
also some examples of fully free elsewhere in the manual as well.
--buck