Perhaps you just need to CRTSQLPKG on the restored (mirrored copy) of the SQLRPGLE program...

-Eric DeLong

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dave Shaw
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:33 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: SQLRPGLE performance problem after update from 6.1 to 7.1

Thanks for your reply.

We've learned a bit since I sent the original inquiry.  The copy of the service program that we were having the problem with had been promoted during the week we were operating from our fail-over box for our annual testing.  We still don't understand exactly why, but when we switched back to our normal production box, the copy that had been created by our mirroring software (Vision) had this problem.  The copy on the fail-over box had worked fine, so maybe it was something about the way that the access plans got built on the production box (which was acting as the fail-over box at the time - confusing, eh?) when Vision restored the program.  In any event, re-promoting the service program through Implementer corrected the problem.

This service program has many static SQL statements in it, including in the procedures we were having the problems with.  The reason is that dynamic SQL failed to meet our performance requirements in our initial testing.  These procedures return blocks of 1 or more records per call, and may be called thousands of times from a single batch report job.  Dynamic SQL appeared to be rethinking the access plan on each procedure call, and the performance was terrible.  Static SQL gave us performance comparable to native I/O.

We don't use ALIAS in our SQL, so that's not an issue for us.

Dave Shaw