Now I am confused. Does he want to remove all blanks? Or just reduce any and all blank strings to one blank, only?

On 10/2/2013 5:16 PM, CRPence wrote:
On 02 Oct 2013 11:56, Kari Zeglin wrote:
On 02 Oct 2013 10:26, Alan Campin wrote:
What release level are you at. V7R1 has a Scan and Replace built
in function that would probably do the entire job.
When I do GO LICPGM, it tells me V7R1M0 under Installed Release.
Does that mean that I could use %SCANRPL?
Yes. Using the v7r1m0 RPG compiler on the IBM i 7.1 OS (v7r1m0)
allows using that %SCANRPL (Scan and Replace Characters) Built-in
function; i.e. the TGTRLS(*CURRENT) must be utilized on the compile.

AFaIK the following will replace all occurrences of a blank to the
empty string:

SUBDTA = %ScanRpl(' ':'':SUBDTA) ; // remove blanks from SUBDTA

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzasd/sc092508871.htm#bbscanrp
"... %SCANRPL returns the string produced by replacing all occurrences
of the scan string in the source string with the replacement string. ..."