Agreed about "and remove trailing blanks repeatedly" but don't forget it also forces the addition of trailing blanks repeatedly after the new data has been added. You have to add them so you can strip them off again next time and ...

Also be interesting to see how the length of the CLOB field is being determined - that's probably wasting cycles too but ... I still think the RPG -> Temp CLOB - > Stored procedure is a rather slow way of handling it. I have to believe a some CGI REST service would be a heck of a lot faster.

On 2013-10-02, at 4:47 PM, "Briggs, Trevor (TBriggs2)" <TBriggs2@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Are you doing the:

@Xml = %Trim(@Xml) + ...

multiple times on each build?

If so, this is forcing the program to determine the length of the field and remove trailing blanks repeatedly. Instead, make @Xml a variable-length field and all you need to do is:

@Xml = @Xml + ...

Much less overhead.

Trevor Briggs
Analyst/Programmer
Lincare, Inc.
(727) 431-1246
TBriggs2@xxxxxxxxxxx
-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tim Wright
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 4:37 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: Pushing XML out to a browser request

Here's more detailed info about what we are doing. Agree that 1s seems pretty fast, but dealership based users were getting 0.1s response time with direct SQL hits so they will notice - and according to the web team - complain. So we are trying to speed things up as much as possible. What the end users are not understanding is that we are sending more data back now than we were with the direct SQL. Plus - I do NOT want to continue to direct SQL. It makes the applications too tightly coupled.

This is how we generate the XML.
First, this is the relationships of the tables involved. It’s similar to an indented bill of material, where many records may be nested within a parent.

Basically, we read the Header and begin building a string of text like this.
@Xml = %Trim(@Xml)
+'<Claim>'
+'<Header>'
+'<ClaimNo>' + %Editc(Cmclm:'X') + '</ClaimNo>'
+'<ProdPlant><![CDATA[' + %Trim(Cmplnt) + ']]></ProdPlant>'
+'<ClaimType><![CDATA[' + %Trim(@ClaimType) + ']]></ClaimType>'
+'<ProcPlant><![CDATA[' + %Trim(Cmpplt) + ']]></ProcPlant>'
+'<RecStatus><![CDATA[' + %Trim(Cmrcst) + ']]></RecStatus>'

We continue processing all the “child” records and continue building the string as above.
After the XML “string” is complete we insert it into a work file as a CLOB data type that is returned to a stored procedure.