Alan,

Well if you're defining the arrays in the D-specs, then by definition, they
can be defined inside a procedure.

Rory

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Alan Campin <alan0307d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think that all this ignores at little thing call Encapsulation. If you
are still writing RPG III and using subroutines and all your data is global
whether you use compile time arrays is immaterial. Everything is global
anyway but if you are writing procedures and modern program, putting this
kind of thing in a compile time array makes it global and every procedure
can see and act on it. What you want is to have something like this
encapsulated inside a procedure or maybe better yet in a procedure in a
service program. The caller should just ask what the value related with
this value. How the procedure does it should be hidden. If you are using a
copy book, then probably without a doubt you are looking at service
program. ILE thinking vs RPG III thinking.

All of this points to the fact that we need better mechanisms for declaring
arrays inside procedures.

OK, now really duck and cover.