From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Clay B Carley
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 10:25 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: Preventing a divide by zero error

Thanks to everyone who replied; I will be purchasing some new books
soon, and probably signing up for an online course as well.

As far as the original divide by zero problem, here's the result:

#1. I had my variables backwards in the equation. :) Here's how it
ended up:

0044.00 C EVAL *IN10 = ( NETPRICE = 0 )
0045.00 C N10 EVAL (H) GROSSPCT = GROSSPRFT / NETPRICE

#2. Apparently none of the data running through the program caused a
divide by zero

I was really wondering what the output would look like if the program
ran through without doing the division. I may still enter data in the
table to cause this issue to occur, just because I'm curious.

I looked through the previous chapters again, and the best I can find is

they mention that you can condition a line using indicators. But no
mention of what they actually do to condition the line.

I'm working on the next programming assignment at the end of Chapter 5
right now, and I absolutely agree that this book is not very good.
Thankfully, I didn't pay anywhere near full price for it; I think I
found it on ebay for $15.

Thanks again everyone!
Clay Carley
Sonic.net/ Sonic Telecom

Jon Paris wrote:
Oh good grief! I had never heard of a book by Stanley so I just
figured it was a typo. Learn something new every day <grin>. e.g. a)
There is an RPG book by a "Stanley Meyers" and b) It's not very good.
Just checked it on Amazon and that puppy is expensive - it is also
somewhat ancient as reflected by the "AS/400" in the title.

On 2013-06-23, at 11:15 PM, Scott Klement <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>