Hi, Dave (and Vern):

COBOL runs on many other platforms (both current and now obsolete). In fact, that was one of the original design goals for COBOL -- to be able to write business applications that were "portable" from one machine to another -- a radical idea at the time (1950s), since almost all programs were written in the assembler language for a specific machine, or in some emergent higner-level language that existed only on one particular brand of computers. (There were hundreds, if not thousands, of these languages, invented in the 1950s and 1960s, but most of them have faded into extinction, as have many of the platforms they ran on.)

RPG, on the other hand, was never as popular, outside of IBM circles. A few vendors did create an RPG compiler for their machines, but not too many were very successful. And those were mainly RPG I or RPG II.

Mark

> On 4/11/2013 7:54 AM, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
Hi Dave

Congratulations on the offer. As to COBOL and RPG - are the jobs all on
the IBM i? Or are they on mainframes, as well?

Vern