On 10 Jan 2013 23:11, Peter Dow wrote:
Fwiw, the OVRDBF parameter ACTGRP help says this:

That help text appears to be for CRTBNDRPG:

Activation group (ACTGRP) - Help

Specifies the activation group this program is associated with when
it is called.

Activation group (ACTGRP) - Help

Specifies the activation group this program is associated with when
it is called.

QILE
When this program is called, it is activated into the named
activation group QILE. This is the default.

The help text is describing the ACTGRP parameter for that command. Thus the value QILE "is the default" for that parameter. This is just like any other named activation group, although starting with the letter Q to identify that the naming is reserved for the system. With the addition of the STGMDL [Storage Model] parameter the new default is *STGMDL instead of QILE. For TeraSpace programs, the name is instead QILETS when using the *STGMDL special value for the ACTGPR parameter. The text does not intend to describe the "Default Activation Group" which is a different concept; described in the ILE concepts.

So I always assumed that the default activation group is named QILE
(please correct me if that's not correct!)

Incorrect; see above. There is what is called the Default Activation Group, denoted by the special value *DFTACTGRP; e.g. in the WRKJOB OPTION(*PGMSTK) and WRKJOB OPTION(*OPNF). There is however, as I recall, a somewhat confusing effect, in that there are two versions of the DAG; i.e. there is one version that is System and one that is User, but user-created programs can only have anything in the User version.

If true, then perhaps those files showing QILE are opened by a
program with DFTACTGRP(*NO) and ACTGRP(*CALLER) instead of
DFTACTGRP(*YES).

The OP's description was of one program with ACTGRP(QILE) performing an SQL statement that caused those files to be opened within that program.

The program that displays the open files in that
case would determine the name of the caller's activation group
instead of just displaying *DFTACTGRP.

No matter the activation group of the program issuing the request to DSPJOB OPTION(*OPNF), e.g. as provided by the OP, should be static; i.e. unchanged output, irrespective of the ActGrp in which the request is run, always showing the name of the activation group in which the OPEN transpired.

Just a theory; nothing to back it up.

I think my prior reply explains properly that the first file named in the query appears properly opened in the QILE activation group, but the other files that were opened merely to implement the query are not appearing as opened in the QILE activation group... along with a description why it might not matter and a way to test if it does matter.