Scott,
Thank you so much for your help. You were correct. I'm not sure where I found that, but I had copied it from somewhere on the internet

(??? lies on the internet??? OMG)

At any rate, I got past all my java errors, (by pointing the iSeries to java version 1.6 via a SystemDefault.properties file in my /home/me directory) but I still cannot connect. I'm failing here:

conn = CallConnectMethod(JNIENV_P: drv: mid: str: prop)

in the JDBCR4 *Srvpgm

The values going in are:

JNIENV_P = SPP:EEDB1E8B3E002000
Drv=12
Mid=8
Str=15
Prop=8

I have tried every conceivable combination of everything at this point, including trying to connect to different versions of SQL servers, different users, with & without properties, with & without domain names, with & without the domain property value,
I can sign-on to the SQL server(s), I can access the database all with the various ID's/passwords I've tried through SQL Server Management Console. I've done "netstat -a" and verified that port 1433 is listening

I have NO DOUBT that it is something in my environment and not your code, just don't know where to look

This is what I get everytime:

Java Virtual Machine is Classic.
JVM properties were loaded from a properties file.
Unable to connect.

So, before I hit my head on the table... again, I'll go try to get SSH working to our new bank tomorrow and come back to this.

THANK YOU again...
Chuck