From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stuart Rowe
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:12 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: OVERLAY in a DS having LikeDS and being based on a pointer

Jon, you're not allowed to do it that way...

You can, however, make a DS, put the Ds_DSM00001 inside it, and overlay on
top of that.

Forgive my syntax:

SOMEDS DS qualified based(PtrFldListX)
Ds_DSM00001 likeds( Ds_DSM00001)
key 20a overlay( SOMEDS )
key1 10a overlay( key: 1 )
key2 10a overlay( key: *next )

Set PtrFldListX to some address (whatever you were going to do in the first
place) and wammo, you have key, key1 and key2 set to whatever's stored
there.

Alternately, make KEYDS a separate structure and put key, key1 and key2 in
it, and base THAT structure on the same PtrFldListX.
This way is not as apparent as the first way that the two ARE related, but
if you look carefully at the basing pointer name you'll catch it.

Stu