Three thoughts:
-Since space is probably at a premium, would it work for you to put your function key legend in the WDWTITLE((*TEXT 'F3=Exit, etc') *BOTTOM *LEFT)
http://www.martinvt.com/Code_Samples/Pop-up_Calendar/pop-up_calendar.html

-The behavior you describe happens to me when I don't leave an extra blank line after the subfile, before the Legend line (its not really blank - its where "+MORE" goes).

-SFLEND(*SCRBAR) might fix your issue, if you have room for 3 columns for the scrollbar.
http://www.martinvt.com/Subfiles/Dropdown_Box/dropdown_box.html to see a screen shot of a window with a subfile and scrollbar, with no need for the +MORE message.