Dale,
We are a larger shop, but I too am struggling with the same thing in that the PHP/MYSQL people scratch there head (more like point fingers at me and snicker) when we struggle with level check.

I have a project to convert DDS to DDL, but I am waiting for IBM to change the QSQGNDDL api, to include the record selection into a SQL index. We had been thinking that we could somehow migrate the database
from DDS to DDL, and keep the same format level.

When a shop is converting from DDS to DDL, should we turn off level check?