One thing, Erick, those SQL statements don't need to be run Execute Immediate, you get better performance just running the statement itself:

exec sql DROP ALIAS QTEMP/AA;
exec sql CREATE ALIAS QTEMP/AA FOR QTEMP/DISP(DISP);

But using embedded SQL, you need to "Select/Into/" some host variable. It has to return one row only, but your statement does that.

exec sql SELECT MAX( LENGTH( TRIM(DISP) ) ) INTO :MyVar FROM QTEMP/AA

Where after executed, MyVar should have the value of the length of the longest line.