Before I get too far into creating production objects without understanding what I'm doing, I need help with something pretty fundamental: Like how to update a module and not have to recompile the world after doing so. Or at least knowing what steps ensure that the new object will be used across the application.

I've created some RPG-ILE and SQLRPG modules, and created a service program that "contains" them by listing each module in the MODULES parameter on the CRTSRVPGM command. I created a binding directory that lists each module. I then created a test program (with an H-spec specifying the BNDDIR) to call a few of those modules. I compiled and tested the test program. So far so good.
I modified some logic (without changing the interface) in one of the called modules, recreated the module object, and saw that the module was updated in the BNDDIR. I used UPDSRVPGM to get that change registered in the service program. I signed off my session that I was testing in (per suggestions from midrange archives), and signed back on to verify that the changes would appear when I ran my test program.
The test program appears to use the former copy of the module.
I've been very deliberate about putting all the objects in the same library, and restricting my library lists, so I think it's more a matter of my not understanding what I need to do and how I need to do it.

If I recompile the test program, the new copy is called, but I was hoping that wouldn't be necessary. I'm hoping to have these modules available to many other programs without going through that. I've not messed with binder language yet, but again, I haven't made any changes to the interface.

Our CSM is home-grown (circa 1992) and knows nothing of ILE stuff. And there's no chance of getting a commercial product to replace it here in my lifetime.
OS is at 7.1

Thanks.
Michael Koester