From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:11 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Attempting to write to IFS andmissing turkish characters

On 13 Jun 2012 11:56, John Allen wrote:
<<SNIP>> there are a few characters not converting correctly Couple
of examples:
Hex 5A Latin Capital letter G with Breve above Ğ displays as a Ð
Hex 5B Latin Capital letter I with dot above İ displays as a Ý

Most of the characters are fine
but want to make sure I have done it correctly.

I want to create an ASCII file with Turkey characters in it from code
page 1026 I want the file to have code page 1252 assigned to it in the
IFS (I
think)

<<SNIP>>

CP1252 does not have the character identifiers LG240000 and LI300000 whereas CP1254 and CP1026 both do. The effect of [what I infer is] x'D1' and x'9F' are presumably chosen for /round tripping/ the data; i.e. those target code points as conversions-to can be safely changed to the inverse on the reverse translation [conversion-from], because neither LD640000 nor LY180000 exist in CP1026.

Regards, Chuck