Hi

A service program is an executable - if it is not there, the program that expects it to be there will crash.

Modules are the pieces of code that are linked together to make programs or service programs. You do not need them on a production system, or in a production library. Once the program or service program is created, they are not touched. They cannot be run or executed.

If you know Windows, a service program is similar to a DLL, shared library in UNIX. Modules are like the .lib files in Windows, the .a files in UNIX - static libraries.

Here is a paragraph that describe static libraries - this describes the similar use of *modules on the i -

Static libraries are a collection of object files, and conventionally they end with a ".a" suffix in UNIX variants, and ".lib" in Windows. When a program is linked against a static library, the machine code from the object files for any external functions used by the program is copied from the library into the final executable.

Now to your first question - modules do not use other modules, at least not the way I think of it - they may have calls to something in another module, I suppose. Programs and service programs are built (created) FROM modules.

Now the hard way - there is an API that can tell you which modules were used to create a PGM/SRVPGM - you could run that API against every non-IBM PGM/SRVPGM on your system, everything not part of a vendor application, etc.

Or you keep a file around that contains all of your object relationships.

Or you use Alan Campin's tool for creating objects - it puts the command in the header comments - that way they are documented. Then you might have only a search through source to find out the answer here.

You really need some kind of change management application - David, the moderator of this group, works for a company that makes one. There are several others in the SCM or software change management arena. They can help you with impact analysis and even recreate everything affected by your changes.

HTH
Vern