Yes, of course. I suppose I was thinking of a single program that could be registered for any or all desired trigger events... As for read triggers, I've often wondered if that event is triggered even for other event types. An update operation cannot occur unless a read (for update, lock rcd) has occurred. Does the read trigger fire, followed by an update trigger? Need to hit the books again, I guess...

-Eric DeLong

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 5:08 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Find internal file descriptions

I believe "a trigger" would actually need to be instead, at least two
triggers? I would think both insert and update for sure, possibly a
delete trigger and even possibly a read trigger as well.? Another
similar means would be to journal the file and review what applications
open [ensuring *OPNCLO entries are not omitted] and\or update the file.

A bit more heavy-handed than triggers... The database "open" user
exit could be utilized to stop any application other than those already
identified as having been corrected, from opening the [member of the]
file. For lack of an "open trigger", the QIBM_QDB_OPEN registered exit
could suffice to implement that effect. The biggest difficulty is
differentiating what is an application using the internal description
versus the external description [having inferred the file is not
"program described" such that there is an external description] or even
if the request is just a dynamic open for which there is no concern for
a hard-coded description of the data by the program. Although at least
all cases of the "Database query open<>'0'" can be ignored, when only
for programs opening the file as program described are of interest.

Regards, Chuck