From: Dave <dfx1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:19 PM
Subject: Access Excel formulae from an RPG

Hi all,

Today I was presented with the most complex set of mathematical
instructions in an rpg program I have ever seen. (insurance tariffs).
I was not involved in the development but as I was involved in other
tests on the product, that used these calculations, I was asked to
control the tariffs that were shown during the course of my own tests.
The user had supplied an Excel spreadsheet which we could use to enter
any test amounts to get the different details of the tariffs. So, to
test the rpg code, we are basically creating a client on a 5250 screen
and checking the displayed tariffs calculated by the rpg program with
those obtained with the spreadsheet. It doesn't seem right to me that
we have basically 2 copies of the formulas needed for the
calculations, the user's in the spreadsheet and ours in the rpg
program. The rpg code used to reproduce the excel formulae is very
complicated, and the programmer who wrote it is using the debugger to
be able to see the result of the different steps in the calculation!
How could the rpg program access directly the user's formulae? I
thought web service, but I would not really know where to start.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.