Hi,

Glad I could help.

The .IPA file that is compiled from Flash Builder for iOS IS! A different
set of code than the .APK for Android or the AIR for Windows (which is also
different than the AIR for MAC). But that's the cool thing about Flash
Builder...it hides all that compilation complexity from you so you don't
have to worry about it. You focus on only the design and development and
let FB handle the compiles to the device of your choice.

And...are you sure that all of your backups, PDF files, HTML file, RPG
Source, etc...ALL! of that is less than 189 MB? 189 MB is not a very big
file and the fact that Machinarium is ONLY! That big is pretty amazing.
Did you by any chance think that they said 189 GB? Because then I'd agree
with you that that's would have been one whopping huge file!

Let's put this in context...the smallest iPad is 16GB. Just 1 GB
would be able to hold just over 8 copies of that one Machinarium game.
Granted 189MB is large for a mobile app...if you compare app size on the
iTunes App store, you'll see that the average graphics-intensive game is
roughly 50MB to 70MB and some of the more graphics intensive games are well
over 500MB...so really 1989 MB for such a graphics intensive game is not
that big.

I'd also guess that your backups on the iSeries are considerably bigger than
189 MB! On my little 520 the backup is over 1GB and I really don't have
much on there since it's a development machine.

Also, just to address one comment you made and this is really for the
archives more than anything else...a LOT! Of newer apps, especially games,
on the App store are built for iPad2 or above. Most work on all versions
of iPad. However there are some hardware changes that came with iPad2 that
were not there for iPad which improve game response and which allow the user
to use the built-in cameras (iPad doesn't have a camera....just iPad2 and
The NEW! iPad) and some of the newer features of the faster processor.
Same thing applies with the various generations of iPod. Some apps are
built to take advantage of the newer hardware changes in the newer iPods and
so it won't work on the older ones.

Now...for most business software...unless you're doing something with the
cameras...there is probably not a lot of stuff you'd need to write
specifically for a faster processer on a newer iPad or iPod. So anything
you wrote for the business world would most likely run on any version of
iPad/iPod/iPhone anyway.

By the way, that's the same reason that many new apps written for Android
only work with a certain level of Android or above. It's because unless you
root the device, the "official" version of Android at whatever version
level you are at, only supports a certain level of hardware and/or software
functions/features.

So in that respect, there's no difference between how developing for iOS is
any different than developing for Android.

We in the RPG world have gotten spoiled because we are used to writing code
that, for the most part, can run on any version of OS/400 clear back to
V1R1.

However...even in RPG we programmers are constantly taking advantage of
newer BIF's and capabilities of RPG and even CL in recent OS/400 releases
that make our jobs easier and our programs more feature rich...but which
will not run on earlier versions of OS/400. Right?

So if looked at from that context...there is really no difference between
writing an RPG program that works only on OS/400 V5R4 and above....with
writing an iOS iPad app that works only on the iPad 2 and above. Yes?

Anyway...if you have some time...download the free Flash Builder software
(free for 30 days) and go through my three tutorials on IT Jungle. At worst
you have wasted 2 or 3 hours of your time....at best, you've just discovered
a cool new way to build your own Web, Widnows/Mac desktop, Android,
Blackberry and iOS apps that can interact with your OS/400 programs and
data!

- Shannon O'Donnell