On 16/02/12 04:39 PM, dmosley@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I heard it was going to end on December 21, 2012.

LOL!

Holy Cow! I haven't visited this newsgroup in over a year, and what do I see when I come back? Yet another lengthy discussion on the death of RPG! The fact that the subject has come up yet again should be a clue to the answer.

First, though, someone mentioned an recent increase in i sales. Don't forget that much of that increase can be attributed to pent up demand after the recession.

As many of you know, I spent years on the RPG development team, and I'm proud of the contributions I was able to make.

However, looking at the bigger picture, it's hard to see a future for RPG. RPG is, of course, intimately tied to the IBM i. That is both a blessing and a curse. While it can take full advantage of the capabilities of the i, it also means that it can never be properly ported to other environments. Outside the IBM i world, CPU's are commodity items. Many of the languages in common use are not tied to any CPU. I can write a program in Python, Perl, or PHP and not worry about the operating system or CPU instruction set. And that's probably the biggest strike against RPG.

Do the analysis: There's really only one reason to buy IBM i - If the application you need runs on IBM i. And the only reason RPG remains in use is that there are applications written in it. If you were to start an application from scratch and could choose any language and were not tied to any particular system, would RPG be in the running?

Do an objective feature by feature comparison of RPG versus any of the common languages in use today. (I know it's hard to find an unbiased person in this forum!)

Does RPG have a rich set of built-in functions? or a rich class library? Does RPG support OO programming? How does RPG handle namespaces? What application frameworks are implemented in RPG? What data types are supported? Does RPG have associative arrays?

These days, I work as a PHP programmer. Sure, it's a gawdawful ugly language. But it works. Unlike RPG, it is object-oriented. Unlike RPG, it has an incredible collection of built-in functions. (Too many, some would argue!) Unlike RPG, it has a rich class library. And unlike RPG, it has a good selection of application frameworks.

(I could make the same arguments about Python too. However, as much as I like Python, I think I might be more even productive using PHP.)

On the latter point, consider a framework like CakePHP. A good framework like that can take care of a lot of nitty-gritty details. Heck, these days, by using a sufficiently robust framework, you shouldn't have to worry about writing SQL code. Let the framework do it for you! In CakePHP, you can easily handle complex joins easily without having to write any SQL.

And of course, if I write an application in PHP, unlike RPG, there's a good chance I can run that application on any system.

I suppose the bottom line is this, and forgive me for being blunt: You have to be realistic. There's a wider world out there. And for much of that wider world, RPG is utterly irrelevant.

Hans