From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jerry C. Adams
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:14 PM
To: RPG400-L
Subject: Can't See the Difference

I am thoroughly bamboozled by this one.

I have code in two places in my program that loop through a subfile. The
code is essentially the same. The first set is in a subroutine and the
second set is in a subprocedure. The subprocedure set works; the subroutine
set doesn't. It's the latter that's got me puzzled (obviously).

I have stared at this all morning and can't see any difference between the
two sets of code, but I've only got one eye and it's aged and often blurry
after staring at a terminal most of the day. Maybe someone else can point
out what is probably an obvious flaw that I can't see.

Subroutine code (not working):

IF #limit > *Zeros;

FOR x = 1 to #limit;

CHAIN x DTU020A;

IF %found();

(some code)

Subprocedure code (working):

IF #Limit > *Zeros;

FOR x = 1 to #Limit;

CHAIN x DTU020A;

IF %found();

(different code)

In the interest of full disclosure: the definitions of the variables are:

D #Limit S Like(rrna)

D X S Like(rrna)

And rrna is the relative record number of the subfile record (DTU020A). The
debug of the subroutine code on the CHAIN 'x' has a value of '1'. After the
IF %found(), the subroutine bypasses all of the "some code" stuff. The FOR
loop runs for as many records as there are in the subfile; it's the CHAIN in
the subroutine that doesn't find the subfile record.

Jerry C. Adams

IBM i Programmer/Analyst

Joe DiMaggio is the best ball player I ever managed. Mantle is the best
one-legged ball player. -Casey Stengel

--

A&K Wholesale

Murfreesboro, TN